All the Masalaa of joint-family living...

A fictional story related as a leaked online diary in the voice of a contemporary,young, South African Guji wife...

Sunday 4 January 2015

Part 64: The darkest day

My heart froze in fear for a second but then I breathed a sigh of relief as I recognized Luqmaans car.

"Hey Tima!", Sabera greeted me as she came in.

"Just need to grab my jacket, didn't pack it and the evenings at the beach get so cold!", she said.

I just hmmmed as I tried to crane my neck to try and see down the road. I was half glad to see Luqmaan and Sabera, being alone was giving me an eerie feeling that I couldn't shake! I wish Imraan would get her already.
Luqmaan sat quietly on the armrest and stared at the floor awkwardly. Shy or not, I was glad for his presence right now.

"Why don't you'll read Magrib here", I said to him, hoping to extend their stay at least until Imraan gets here.

Erm, I think we'll make it back to the hotel, no problem. , Luqmaan replied shyly.
I heard the sound of a car, I just hope this is Imraan now.

But as the car turned into our driveway, the flashing blue lights reflected off every wall and filled the house.

No! No no no! There must be a mistake, no....i felt my world literally fall apart at that moment!
Luqmaan had stood up and was already heading to the door, but he stopped and looked at me confused. I hadn't realized that I had shouted No! Out aloud. I couldn't explain...the knock on the door took his attention again.

I knew before they spoke...they didn't have to say a word. I couldn't breath...my throat was constricting.

"Good Evening Officers, can I help you?"Luqmaan greeted them so pleasantly.
They asked for me by full name...in that moment, my world changed forever.
The look in their eyes said it all..the pity...the sympathy. They didn't have to speak, I was shaking my head. I don't want to hear it!

"Im sorry ma'am...there has been an accident. Your husband...his gone ma'am. I am so sorry" one officer said.

I fell to the floor. Tears streamed down my face!

Luqmaan looked horrified. "There must be a mistake, sir!", he said angrily! " have you checked your facts before you brought such anguish!", he demanded...furious, unbelieving....not wanting to believe.
But I knew, I knew in my heart...it was the truth. "What happen?", I stammered.

"What's going on?", sabera said...she looked between the officers, her new husband and me on the floor.

" a drunk driver...wrong lane...head on.."
The officers were explaining but I couldn't listen. This had to be a dream...an awful nightmare. Where is my father? My,brother? Where's Ahmed! Where's Ahmed? He would fix this.
Ahmed and Imraan always fix everything.
Imraan, my Imraan.
I couldn't believe he was gone! Could it really be true? No no no...

I stood up like a crazy person...i rushed for my phone. The screen saver was a pic of a smiling Imraan sitting with the twins in hospital.
I hit call under his number and pressed the phone to my ears...

It just rang and rang and rang...

The officers and Luqmaan were just staring at me.

Sabera came to take the phone away from me just as the automatic voice said "the subscriber you trying to reach is unavailable at present..."
My blood ran cold...unavailable forever...
I was never going to hear his voice again...smell his scent...be comforted in his embrace!

I had two children to raise alone. Orphans! Two orphans...they will never know their father...or the part of their mother that died with him today.

But even as all these thoughts were running through my mind, still, a part of me couldn't believe it. Maybe there was a mistake.
"Ma'am...i think its best you come with us to identify the body, my colleagues already informed the other person on the ICE card."
ICE?

Oh! Incase of emergency!!! His father...Imraans father.

I couldn't think anymore, I couldn't breath... I just felt lost.

6 comments:

  1. Slms. Nooo. I thought its a tongue in cheek panchaat blog. This is too sad!!

    Plz make this a bad dream ;(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sooooo sad! Just found your blog on Sat and read it all, and really enjoying it.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( please don't kill Imraan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog on tuesday! Please dont kill imraan pls pls pls it will be sad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plz dnt kill imran plz plz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry everybody:( it's the only way...

    ReplyDelete